Cawood's favorite syrup is the blueberry syrup I made from the 2011 over-abundance of blueberries. I had so many blueberries last year that I was looking for any canning recipe, anything whatsoever, to put them back. Syrup was a huge hit, but we used our last jar in June.
The girls have always preferred maple syrup, but I only buy 'real' maple syrup, and I prefer Grade B over Grade A - it just tastes better. Try it, you'll agree. We ran out of Grade B maple syrup this week and I haven't yet been to Trader Joe's to buy more.
I am absolutley a syrup snob but my kids eat Eggo waffles, so take that for whatever it's worth. I'm not a purist, obviously. If I were, I'd be slapping King Arthur whole wheat waffle batter over a hot griddle or making blender pancakes from my wheat berries (but at least I have wheat berries - that's something, right?)
Anyway, Cawood is a very curious three year old. He watched as DJ and I had a conversation about the syrup situation. Back and forth. . . DJ had some janky Kroger syrup tucked in the back of the fridge, "Butter Flavor."
I pulled it out and poured it into the little fruit dishes the kids use to dip their waffle strips. As I set his breakfast before him Cawood said, "What kind of syrup is this?"
Me: It's just syrup.
Cawood: It's not blueberry syrup. It's not maple syrup. What kind of syrup is it?
Me: It's Daddy's syrup.
Cawood: But what kind?
Me: It's high fructose corn syrup.
Cawood took a big bite and said, "I like this kind of syrup!"
No comments:
Post a Comment