I remember when Eva was born, she was screaming. Not a little bit. Not the first little baby cries of life you would expect. Eva was screaming. She was telling us she was displeased, and that's stood constant these past three years. Eva screams. Eva cries. Eva tells us what she does not like. She is not shy about that; not one bit.
DJ and I have been talking about this a little bit lately, and I'm not sure what to do about it. Eva's screams have turned into demands for us to wait on her hand and foot.
She'll tell anyone available, "Go get my dream blanket. . . Bring me my pet pet (pillow pet). . . Carry me downstairs. . . I want my milk (it's sitting about three feet from her). . ." She believes the other four members of this family should behave as if they are her personal wait staff.
I'm not sure what to do about it, really. We've been consistent and firm with all three children from the moment they were born: if you are capable of doing something for yourself, you are expected to do so.
She makes her demands, we tell her, "no" and explain how she can do it for herself. She screams. We put her in time out and she stays there until she's done screaming.
DJ pointed out this won't be fun during the teenage years. Ideas? We're firm, but so is she.
***********
On potty training: I cold-turkey trained the twins on their birthday. They are doing great! We're about at 95% right now. Cawood still struggles to poop in the potty, but Eva has nailed it these past few days. Although, now that I think about it, I'm surprised she hasn't asked us to poop for her too.
No comments:
Post a Comment