Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Mrs. Harvey Calls

Have I told you how much we love Faith's teacher?  We just absolutely adore her, which is a good thing because after the public school teachers I had myself, I was dreading the whole thing with my kids.  Mrs. Harvey has made kindergarten a joy.  Any and all frustrations I have with Faith's school actually tread higher up than those individuals that work within the walls of North Elementary:  I just think we have too much regulation.  The people within her school are wonderful.

We love Mrs. Harvey.  So much so, that after all is said and done, after Faith has "graduated" from kindergarten and when final report cards are out, I'm planning on emailing the principal to let her know how much Mrs. Harvey has meant to our family and how much she's helped Faith grow (and by the way, wink wink, if she could somehow place one of the twins in Mrs. Harvey's class in 2014 . . . )

I was in Faith's classroom a few weeks ago and Mrs. Harvey explained to me the level reading system this school uses.  The kids need to be able to read at level "B" to graduate from kindergarten.  At that point she told me Faith had passed her level "C" test, but there was no level "D."  She had not yet passed level "E," so Mrs. Harvey explained that Faith was considered a "D," even though there really is no "D."

Anyway, Mrs. Harvey called me this afternoon and she was just about to burst out of the phone.  She was so excited.  Faith and Isaac are always paired together because they are the two best readers in the class.  Isaac was out sick today, so Faith and Mrs. Harvey were one-on-one.  Faith picked up a level H book and read it to Mrs. Harvey, and then she read it to the whole class.  Mrs. Harvey said the class was in stunned silence before little Andrew said, "Wow Faith!  Those are some really big words you're reading." 

Mrs. Harvey was explosively happy with my kid.  She could not believe that my little five-year-old is able to fully and completely read a level H reader.  Then, she went on and told me (for about the 100th time) how much fun Faith is to have in class.  "Faith's a blast.  She makes me laugh every single day.  I'm going to miss her so much next year."  That's actually the one compliment that makes me swell with pride every time: Please tell me how personable my kids are; how much fun they are to have around.  I love hearing that. 

Of course this makes me want to order her some J and K books, but we're moving in the right direction. 

No comments: