Saturday, September 10, 2011

Vegas

So DJ's off in Vegas and I'm doing the single mom thing for the next few days.  Let me tell you, I did it a few times with Faith alone and it was a piece of cake.  One momma, one kid.  No worries.  One momma, three kids?  Holy cow!  This is a lot of work!! 

One thing we talked about before he left was Eva.  Whenever a person who is a constant in Eva's life disappears, within a few days she'll start asking, "Where's so-and-so?"  "Where's Jessy?. . . Grandma? . . . Grandpa? . . ."  You get the picture.  If it's been a few days, Eva will ask where her people are.  Last night I asked DJ, "How long do you think it will be before Eva starts asking where you went?"  He answered, "Monday."  Nope.  That girl gave him about six hours before she started asking for her daddy.  I've been telling you for almost two-and-a-half years now, that one is a daddy's girl.  Eva is DJ's.

Faith gets it, obviously.  She understands Daddy is gone for a few days.  Cawood, like Eva, not so much.  He didn't ask about daddy all day.  Our bedtime routine is for me to read stories to all three kids, tuck the twins in bed and Cawood always asks, "Say good night, daddy?"  DJ goes upstairs for just a few minutes and Cawood tells him what he did all day, "Fun park. . . fun slide. . . fun swings. . .fun museum. . . fun Diego. . .  " Whatever happened, Cawood talks about it with daddy. 

Anyway, when I tucked Cawood in bed tonight he asked, "Say good night, Daddy?"  I said, "No buddy, Daddy's away tonight, he'll be home in a few days."  Ohmygoodness, tear my heart out:  his face. You know that face people make when the pain is just too unbearable to control?   The face you make when something really, really bad has happened?  That's the face he made as he cried in the night for a daddy thousands of miles away. 

Anyway, DJ knew I was a little concerned with him flying this weekend so he's made sure to keep in close contact.  He sent me a text when he landed in Salt Lake City as he rushed to his flight to Vegas (short layover.)  Again, as soon as he was on the ground in Vegas, a message popped up on my phone, "Viva Las Vegas."  Safe.

Keep us in your prayers.  Eva especially is missing her daddy something awful and I'm missing my husband.  It's not as much fun when he's so very far away. 

No comments: