This was one of the crazy-busiest weekends of my entire life, in so many different ways. I've had lots of busy weekends, but usually when a weekend is busy it's busy for one reason, or two reasons. This weekend had lots of very different things happening.
Saturday morning was the zombie race the Sparks girls and I signed up for. The idea of the race is it's a 5K (roughly 3 miles) through wooded terrain with an obstacle course and zombies chasing you. It's kind of like flag football, if the zombies get all three flags, you are "dead." You are allowed to finish the race, but you don't "win."
Here's a pre-race photo of me and Caroline. We've been friends since we were four years old, but haven't seen each other since my wedding day. Yay! This was fun!
After the race, our team posed for a shot. Cullen, Kelli, me, Cameron, Jessy, Carrie, and Chris. You'll notice that Cameron and I were the only two who "lived," and Caroline wasn't such a good sport about that. . . .she's in super buff shape and she didn't make it. OK, so here's the confession: Cameron and I both shoved one flag up our shirts so the zombies couldn't see it. Yuppers, we totally cheated and Caroline was not very happy about it. Guess what? I shoved one flag up my shirt, and finished with two flags, so it didn't really matter. I "survived."
This was the last obstacle: an electric fence over a muddy puddle. They told us as we approached that it was "live," but I didn't really believe them. Who would be stupid enough to put a live electric fence over a mud puddle for a race? Yeah. . . it really was live. I ducked low to go under the fence, and I did not feel a thing, but I blacked out for a few seconds and found myself laying in that bug mud puddle with people behind me yelling to "GO GO GO!!!"
Wow. OK. Regardless, I kept on and thought I had imagined that because really, who would put a live current over a mud puddle? I can't imagine anyone being that stupid.
Turns out, no. It was on the Indianapolis news that night that many people had been rushed to the ER for electrocution from the fence.
Check out the sun after the race. Have you ever seen such a thing? This sun hung over Indiana for hours on Saturday afternoon.
**********
The bummer part of the day: After the race Mom called and said Dad's baby sister had passed away that day. I have lots of favorite aunts for lots of different reasons, but Aunt Carol was my favorite "fun" aunt. She was one of those people who always had a huge, bright personality. We loved her. I hadn't talked with her in about 2 months, but last time I called, she sounded so bright and happy that I had absolutely believed she had been cured of her cancer, as she wanted us to believe. I guess we figured out otherwise.
No comments:
Post a Comment