Monday, March 16, 2015

Third Grade

I should have blogged this year.  I really should have, but hindsight is 20/20, and in August I thought it would be like any other spectacular year.  

Our schools have two separate buildings for K-2, and 3/4.  Faith just moved to the new building this year, and silly me, I presumed that school would be as wonderful as the first.  

She's learned a lot this year, on the positive side.  

She's learned girls are mean, and women can be ever more so. 

She's learned that the biggest bully in the room is sometimes the teacher.  She's learned the other adults in a school building will *always* take the word of a teacher over the word of an eight-year-old girl, even if that eight-year-old girl has 23 other eight-year-olds screaming, "That didn't happen!"

She's learned about that thing called a glass ceiling.  Smart boys blast straight on through, but smart girls keep smacking the top of their heads, unable to make progress.  

She's learned life isn't fair, but sadly, school is as fair as it comes.  

Faith is asking me to homeschool her for fourth, which stinks because she LOVES her friends and she LOVES learning.  She'll tell you she loves everyone in her classroom except for two people. Sadly, one is her teacher. 

Hard times. I've told her, "Middle School is worse, but then it gets better again in High School." 

It's been a hard year. 

No comments: